Bereavement Support


We are sorry to hear of the passing of your loved one. We extend our deepest sympathies for your loss and are committed to assisting you with the closure of the account and any other way that we can.

Our Dedicated Team is here to provide support and guidance if you are going through a bereavement. This webpage offers comprehensive information to help you navigate the necessary steps and procedures during this difficult time.


What You Need to Do

Notification of Death

Please notify us of the death of an account holder as soon as possible. This can be done by sending us an email at, or contacting us by telephone on 0121 753 6000, or visit us in person at our London Branch.

We will freeze the account, but we will require certain documentation so we can close the account and transfer out the balance.

Joint Accounts: If the Deceased holds a joint account with UBL UK, the account will be transferred to the surviving account holder(s) upon receipt of the death certificate. If the original application states that either signatory can operate the account, then the account will be transferred to an individual account. Where the application states that all signatories are required to operate the account, we will be required to undertake the full deceased account procedure, and the surviving party will be required to provide Grant of Probate (for balances over £10,000).

Required Documentation

 In order for us to close the account, we may require the following documentation:

  • Original Death Certificate (in the case that the original death certificate is not available, you can provide us with the interim death certificate)
  • Grant of Probate (England & Wales) – For account balances of £10,000 and over.
  • Certificate of Confirmation (Scotland)
  • Will
  • Proof of ID and Address of the Executor(s) of the Estate Transfer instructions signed by the Executor(s) of the Estate
  • HMRC IHT423 form (For Inheritance Tax)

Please note that all documents must be original or certified copies.

 Non-UK Residents Accounts

Where the deceased account holder is a Non-UK resident, the personal representative must obtain a Foreign Grant of Probate from the country that the Deceased domiciled in, and this must be resealed by the UK Probate Registry. 

Account Closure

You will be required to provide transfer instructions of where the balance will be transferred to. If there is more than one Executor of Estate or Personal Representative, we will require all signatures on the transfer instructions. Once we have received all the required documents and transfer instructions, we will close the account. You will receive a closing statement in the post. 

If the balance is to be paid towards inheritance tax, you must provide us with a HMRC IHT423 form and we will send the payment directly to HMRC.

If the deceased account holder held an ISA, and you are the surviving spouse or civil partner, you may be able to transfer the funds into an APS (Additional Permitted Subscription) ISA. Your ISA Provider will need to provide us with an APS transfer form, in order for us to proceed in transferring the funds. Transfers can take up to 30 Calendar Days. For detailed information about Additional Permitted Subscription (APS) ISA, you can find out more on the government website by clicking on the link: Manage APS into an ISA.

Financial Support for Funeral and Other Immediate Expenses

If you require access to the funds for funeral expenses or to pay for any other expenses relating to the death i.e. paying for a Grant of Probate, UBL UK can arrange to pay for these costs directly from the deceased's account. You can send us the invoice and we will make the payment directly to the company. Please note we are unable to make any reimbursement of costs that have already been paid.

Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section below to gain further clarity on each of the specific aspects related to deceased customers and bereavement.

You may also refer to our Additional Support and Resources Section below for further guidance.

  • Frequently Asked Questions



    What is a Personal Representative, Executor, and Administrator?

    A personal representative is a collective term for either Executors or Administrators. Executors are appointed under a valid will to manage the deceased's estate. Administrators are appointed by the court when there is no will, through a Grant of Administration.

    Can a solicitor represent the executors of the Estate?

    Yes, a solicitor act on behalf of their personal representative(s). If a Solicitor is acting on behalf of the personal representative(s), UBL UK will require valid form of consent from the personal representative(s),

    What is a Grant of Probate?

    A Grant of Probate is a legal document issued by the court that confirms the executor's authority to administer the deceased person’s estate. As part of the administration of a deceased account, you will be required to provide a Grant of Representation for account balances of £10,000 and over.

    What is a Letter of Administration?

    A Letter of Administration is issued by the Probate Registry. It gives the administrator legal authority to deal with the deceased's estate.

    What documentation is required for an overseas deceased account holder?

    You will be required to provide, the original or certified death certificate, proof of ID and address of personal representative(s) and Foreign Grant of Probate. For non-UK residents, a Foreign Grant of Probate must be obtained and resealed by the Probate registry in the UK to be recognised and validated.

    What is an Additional Permitted Subscription (APS) for an ISA account?

    An Additional Permitted Subscription (APS) allows a surviving spouse or civil partner of a deceased ISA holder to make a one-time additional subscription to their own ISA. This subscription is equivalent to the value of the deceased’s ISA at the time of their death. This rule helps the surviving partner maintain the tax advantages of the ISA savings that were accumulated together during the lifetime of the deceased partner.

    Does UBL UK offer APS subscription for ISAs?

    No. UBL UK does not currently offer APS subscriptions for the surviving spouse or civil partner to transfer the funds to their ISA. 

    How can I transfer my deceased spouse or civil partner’s ISA as an APS?

    As UBL UK does not offer APS subscriptions, you will need to open an account with a Bank or building society, which accepts APS transfers. Once you have opened an account, you must fill in an APS transfer form. Your ISA Provider will then send this to us, so we can transfer the funds. Please note that this can take up to 30 calendar days for the transfer to be completed.

    What is the HMRC IHT423 form?

    The HMRC IHT423 form is used to arrange payment of Inheritance Tax from the deceased's estate. It is completed by the personal representative and submitted to the bank, which then facilitates the electronic transfer to HMRC.

    Where can I find additional information relating to HMRC Inheritance Tax?

    For information regarding inheritance tax, you may visit the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) website or consult a financial advisor.  

    What is the process for accessing a safety deposit box of the deceased?

    The personal representative(s) of the estate are legally entitled to access the deceased’s safety deposit box, with the presence of two bank staff members. An inventory of the contents will be prepared and signed by the representative(s).

    How can I arrange payment for funeral expenses from the deceased's account?

    The bank can directly arrange payment for funeral costs from the deceased’s account. You will need to provide a copy of the funeral invoice to facilitate this.

    What happens to the deceased's debts and liabilities?

    Any outstanding loans, overdrafts, or other debts become liabilities on the deceased’s estate. The executor or administrator is responsible for settling these debts from the estate.

    Can I access funds from the deceased's account for immediate expenses like inheritance tax?

    Yes, the bank can release funds for specific expenses like probate fees, inheritance tax, and other immediate costs, upon receiving the necessary documentation.


  • Additional Support and Resources

    Additional Support and Resources

    We understand how difficult and confusing it can be to access the right information and support you might need in difficult times like these. To make this easier, we have provided links of a few independent organisations who can provide further bereavement help and support.

    MoneyHelper: You can receive independent advice from MoneyHelper, who can help you learn how to deal with money after someone passes away, from paying for the funeral to looking after the paperwork and household bills.

    Grief Encounter: Grief Encounter specialises in supporting bereaved children, young people, and their families. They offer a range of services including specialist counselling sessions, workshops, and advice. A helpline is available for confidential bereavement support, operating weekdays from 9am to 9pm.

    Cruse Bereavement Care: This organization offers support for those dealing with grief. They provide tailored advice and information, including a helpline staffed by trained volunteers to assist with bereavement. Additionally, they offer initiatives like Grief First Aid Training and fundraising events

    Probate England and Wales: This government site provides a comprehensive guide on probate, the legal right to deal with someone's property, money, and possessions after their death. It covers topics like whether probate is needed, who can apply, how to value the estate, and steps to apply for probate. It also includes contact information for the Courts and Tribunals Service Centre for further assistance.

    Probate Scotland: This website provides information about applying for confirmation papers necessary to handle a deceased person's money and property. It directs users to the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service website for detailed guidance on the process.

    Quaker Social Action: This is a charity who provides advice and helps to pay for a funeral to those on low incomes.

    Help With Deceased: This government site provides a step-by-step guide on the procedures to follow after someone dies. It includes information on registering the death, notifying government departments, arranging funerals, checking eligibility for bereavement benefits, dealing with the deceased's benefits, pension and taxes, and applying for probate.

    Inheritance Tax Information: This webpage offers comprehensive information on various aspects related to death and bereavement. It covers topics such as registering a death, applying for probate, dealing with the estate, handling wills, tax and inheritance issues, and finding bereavement support services.